McKellar Park Stone Steps
The original structure was a WPA project built in the 1930′s during the great depression. From a location west of town, limestone was quarried and brought by horse and wagon to the site where local people built the amphitheater type seating into the hillside. The project became a source of income and a point of community pride for those involved.
Over the years countless community activities and sporting events have been viewed from these seats. The structure is a defining feature of Blanchardville. Generations of people feel a tie to the villages as a result of using these bleachers.
Over time, however natural forces caused the blocks of stone to shift and crack. By 1999 the entire structure was in need of repair or face the possibility of removal.
The restoration project was funded by donations of time and money.